A friend of mine said she had a friend who liked to determine things right away and picked out the name for the baby almost as soon as she knew she was pregnant. Her husband, on the other hand, was the kind who was open about names til after the baby came. This sounds similar to me and Chad, though probably not quite so bad either way. I started looking up names at around 12 weeks. Chad refused to even glance at names until he knew if it was a boy or girl. Every name discussion is brought up by me and always ends with no name chosen. Chad wanted to wait and see Sakura before naming her, but I was already sure of her name a month or so before she was born. I wonder how it will be with our little boy...
But, here is some more naming advice from Mrs. Bloomingdale's book. Enjoy! :D
Another suggestion which I am sure no one will pay any attention to is: Never give your children rhyming names. Nobody warned us about this, and as a consequence, we have a Jim and a Tim, a Dan and an Ann. When I call "Jim!" I get an answer from Tim; if I call "Ann!" I hear from Dan, who, for some reason, never seems to be around if I can "Dan!" Or maybe he is and has decided to let Ann answer; since she insists on being a feminist, let her be the one to carry out the garbage.
Never give children names that might be rhymed. There are two tiny brothers on our block named Dirk and Eric. I absentmindedly call them Derek and Eric, which isn't as bad as my teenagers, who insist on calling them Dirk and Erk. Knowing how nicknames sometimes stick, I fear that darling Eric will be Erk forever, or at least till he's old enough to fight back.
Never give a baby a male-female name: Pat, Chris, Joe, Kelly, Bobby, Billie, Mickey, et cetera. A little girl won't mind, but a little boy will hate you forever. Our Patrick answered to Pat until the day he went to school and met three other Pats, all Patricias. Since then he has been Patrick. Patrick is a loyal little boy; he didn't blame me for his name; he just decided it was Patricia's mother who was whacky.
Oddly enough, a male-female name never seemed to bother our son Lee, probably because he had a bigger problem. He was burdened with my biggest no-no name of all:
And I'll end there for now because the next part is rather lengthy. :)
Kinder promotion, Theo violin concert
3 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment