Chad and I agree on a few things with the name of our son, and one of them is that we do not want a William junior. It's a tradition that crops up over and over again on both sides of the family, (for example, my father is a junior and Chad's brother is a junior) but we think it's just too confusing and we don't want to do it. So my brilliant idea was that instead of William, we could name him Liam, which is still taken from William, but is different enough that they wouldn't be confused. Chad is still not so keen on it. So far, he's still stuck on Seth. I suppose I picked Sakura's name, maybe Chad will get to pick the boy's name... or maybe I'll sway him my way like I did with Sakura. :) At this point, who knows? But, here's the last bit of naming advice from Mrs. Bloomingdale's book. :)
Oddly enough, a male-female name never seemed to bother our son Lee, probably because he had a bigger problem. He was burdened with my biggest no-no name of all: junior. I don't mean we called him Junior; I mean he was a junior, named for his father. What do you call a junior if not Junior? We called him Little Lee, which was okay until he entered kindergarten, and for some strange reason, none of the other 5-year-olds called him Little Lee. Thus began years of confusion. By fourth grade, little voices were calling on the phone to threaten: "Tell Lee I'm gonna punch him in the nose!" It was fairly obvious they meant Little Lee. Three or four years later we began getting calls from big voices, saying: "Your Lee is becoming a problem; he keeps teasing the girls in the classroom." This is even more disconcerting when you realize that Big Lee was, at that time, a teacher.
The teenage years were frustrating, for then all the calls were for Little Lee. At least, I assume they were, as they were all from breathless, giggling females.
But the confusion reached chaotic proportions when Little Lee became an adult-living-with-his-parents and the proud owner of his own charge accounts. The phone calls then came from credit departments, and neither Lee would answer the phone. It didn't really make any difference, for as every father of a young-adult-living-at-home knows: It matters not who takes the calls, it's Dad who pays the bills.
When Little Lee got married, we were still calling him Little Lee, and he respectfully requested that we change that. To what? Harry? The problem will solve itself, of course, when Little Lee has his own little Lee, for then I can call my Little Lee Middle Lee. (If I stay sober, that is.)
Of course, we could call him Arthur, for that's his other name, but we never used it because we didn't want to confuse him with his Uncle Arthur or his grandfather whose name was Arthur; in fact, both his grandfathers were named Arthur, and his cousin is named Arthur...
I wonder why I didn't think of Harry in the first place...
Kinder promotion, Theo violin concert
3 months ago

3 comments:
Kent completely agrees. He also noted..."In the Jewish faith, making someone a Junior is almost unheard of." :)
Yes, Juniors can be disasters! My father fervently wishes he had never named my brother after himself--the younger has criminal and debt records that keep haunting my dad, especially because the name is rare. Hold fast against this one!
It's hard picking out names, isn't it? Jordan and Austin were easy for us; we both loved those names before we had the kids. Cayden was hard because we never thought we'd have 3 boys. So we had to start from scratch on that one - that name just kept coming up and seemed to stick. Good luck and I'm sure you'll pick a great name.
Post a Comment