If you didn't know, my child is a very picky eater. She doesn't even have 1 favorite vegetable I know she will eat. It's very frustrating sometimes. I have to sneak veggies into her food via sauces or sugar coating, pureeing and juicing. Pumpkin pie is not really a vegetable, even when made with non-canned pumpkin. Anyway.... last week my friend Catie gave me a bag of produce. They get one every week and she forgot to cancel for the week she was going out of town, and thought of me for some reason. It's actually something we keep meaning to do, but forget until it's too late. Anyway, she gave us potatoes, kale, spring onions, peas in the pod and romaine lettuce. My mom always tells the story of how my older brother and sister used to fight over who got the most fresh peas so that each pea had to be counted to make sure they got the same amount. Or how they'd pluck cherry tomatoes of the bush and pop 'em in their mouths. I figured I give fresh peas a try. Sakura helped me shell them and then popped one in her mouth. She grimaced at first, but kept eating them - raw and crunchy! Once I cooked them, she didn't eat as many. Who knew? I wonder how long it'll last. She used to love peas, but then one day refused to eat them anymore. Guess we'll have to try raw peas again!
I also made some bake kale chips - it's just kale leaves torn up into pieces and tossed with olive oil and seasoning salt, baked at 350 for 10 min or until they start to brown. They crisp up and are not bad. Reminds me of dried seaweed. Sakura chowed down on those too! (Chad did NOT like them!)
Now very rarely Sakura will eat a salad with me, and since I was having so much success with green foods, I made one up. Sure enough, she ate a salad too... and from her own plate without me feeding it to her! So.... thank you Catie! Even if I try these veggies again and Sakura refuses to eat them, at least I went one week where my child ate some good green veggies. Yay!

2 comments:
jealous
Awesome! If you're ever in a rut, check out Jessica Seinfeld's book "Deceptively Delicious." It's full of comfort food recipes with secret veggie puree's hidden in there. There's even a recipe for brownies with spinach in them and I swear you can't taste or see the spinach at all! It's awesome. The mac and cheese with cauliflower and carrots is a fave around here.
Post a Comment