Sneaky Chef:
I made the white puree (zucchini and cauliflower) and the orange puree (carrots and sweet potato) and used them both in "better boxed mac and cheese."(or whatever it's called) Basically, you add the purees to the boxed mac and cheese when it's finished, plus a slice of cheese to cover the extra carrot taste. It went over great! No problems from either of my picky eaters.
I also made "better boxed brownies" which uses purple puree (blueberries and spinach) and wheat germ. I also used flax seed instead of eggs. The texture was different, and the taste wasn't as good, though I'm not sure if any of that was due to the puree, the flax seed or the walnuts that were in the mix. Less successful than the mac and cheese, but not bad.
Overall opinion of Sneaky Chef so far: Not something I'd like to become a lifestyle. I'm all for hiding veggies in food, but the puree thing is annoying. I also don't like that everything has to be cooked until it loses half it's nutritional content anyway. I think it's a great way to get peace of mind while you continue to try and get your picky eaters to choose to eat better slowly over time. I'd much rather my kid eat a raw carrot stick than boiled pureed carrot hidden in piles of cheese and white pasta, but I'd rather my kid eat the hidden purees than no vegetables at all.
Herman Yeast Starter:
I forgot how long this takes to get going! But, as you can see from the photo - I did it! Two excellent loaves of homemade whole wheat bread. I think some of my success comes from baking on laundry day - I left the bread to rise in the laundry room, which was warm and humid from 3 loads of laundry. I wonder if I can adapt other bread recipes to use the yeast starter? I'm sure it helped my bread to rise better, which is my main problem so far, for whatever reason. I guess we'll see. I'll have to surf the web for more existing recipes as well as try to adapt my own.

2 comments:
I have some killer gluten free (and dairy/egg free) recipes if you're interested- chicken noodle soup, banana bread, and blueberry muffin recipe that is TO DIE for. I bought Jessica Seinfeld's cook book "Deceptively Delicious," which is a lot like sneaky chef only the recipes are a little yummier and a little easier to prepare. I've been on a sugar, gluten, and animal-product free diet for a month or so now so I've had to get creative.
I would love your recipes! I am a recipe junkie - I collect them like others collect stamps. I'm always looking for things we will all LOVE, and that's hard to come by.
Post a Comment