First of all, my kid seems to like orange foods - cheese, oranges, carrots, sweet potatoes... like these pancakes I tried. She LOVES them! She asked for them everyday after I made them, and sometimes twice a day! I'm afraid she's going to turn orange! The recipe makes a huge batch, but I ran out after only a few days and you would have thought I told her she could never see Curious George again, the way she carried on. I'm just glad she's eating sweet potatoes and carrots! I'll be making another batch of these this week, though I'm going to try to "improve" them even farther, if I can do it without ruining them. This recipe was an ad in a cooking magazine I get, and I'm sure it was trying to get me to want to buy some pancake mix or another. Any substitutes I used are in parenthesis below each ingredient, in case you wanted to know.
Sweet Potato Pancakes
2 eggs
(1 egg, 1T milled flax seed + 3T water)
1 c buttermilk
(powdered buttermilk)
2 1/2 T Oil
1 c pancake mix
(Bisquick - though I want to try whole grain something next time)
2 1/2 T Oil
1 c pancake mix
(Bisquick - though I want to try whole grain something next time)
1 pinch nutmeg
1 1/2 c mashed sweet potato
(Orange Puree... I wonder how pumpkin would taste!)
Mix wet ingredients (may vary if you use substitutes or not). Stir in dry ingredients. Fold in sweet potatoes. Use additional milk or pancake mix if needed for a thick but pourable, pancake-batter consistency. Cook 2-3 T at a time over medium heat, turning when bubbles appear and burst. Serve with a light brushing of maple syrup.
UPDATE: I forgot until I made them again that they don't come out really well when the batter is fresh - they're limp and mooshey and don't bubble up or anything. Put it in the fridge for a day or so and they come out perfect!

1 comment:
Ok, I'm dislexic when it comes to numbers so I messed up on the flaxseed substitution (there should be more water than seed) - I corrected it on the post, but I guess it explains why my baking has been awfully dense and a little on the dry side.
Post a Comment