I have ventured into the weird health-nut food arena... sort of. I have been trying to eat better, and decided to start by experimenting with more grains. I now have wheat germ and milled flaxseed in my fridge, whole wheat flour in my freezer, wheat berries, wheat bran, oatmeal, cornmeal, brown (& white) rice, and barley in my cupboards (I had rye flour too, but I used it up already). I'm also looking at buying a hand-cranked flour mill. There are tons more I'd like to try, but they aren't found on the shelves at Wal-Mart or Food Lion or any "regular" grocery store (that I've seen yet). Surprisingly, everything else has been found on the shelves at Wal-mart! Of course, one of the main things to make using grain is bread - and I am TERRIBLE at making bread. I'm planning on trying a sourdough starter recipe my mom gave me (Herman), and hope it helps make my bread-making improve in the short term, while I figure out what I'm doing to make me a better baker in long-term. Next I want to add in beans to the grains (it's close!) and Amber emailed me a great booklet a couple years back that is just the thing to get me going on that. While my mom did teach me a few tricks on hiding veggies in food, I also ordered "The Sneaky Chef" since I discovered that while we eat an ok amount of fruit, I can't seem to get my family to like much in the way of veggies. Hopefully the book will give me more ideas and help me learn to incorporate veggies with my new-found passion for grains. So far, I don't like brown rice - my asian roots just won't give up white rice. But I LOVE wheat germ! Weird, I know, but it really is good - and so is flax seed. I hate rye bread from the store, but the bread I made (while dense) I liked very much. I'm a fan of barley (though I've only ventured to put it in soup so far). One thing I have learned about all these grains - Activia's a boring and inferior substitute! (If you get my meaning) I'll pass on any tips or tricks I learn, if anyone wants to know. I hope this works better than my previous attempts. If you have anything along this line you'd like to share - feel free. :)
2 comments:
Girl, welcome to the world of weird foods. I'd like to officially welcome you. You need to find some place around there that sells Quinoa or quinoa products. I had to start experimenting with bizarre food alternatives in college because I became allergic to milk (not lactose intolerant- full on allergic), and recently I've started developing a sensitivity to gluten that is threatening to turn into an allergy. All of the grains are really fun, and can really spice up a family diet. One thing I did to incorporate brown rice is to buy brown rice flour. It's a great alternative to wheat flours and is much easier to digest.
As far as beans go- they're the greatest. Get a crock pot to cook your beans in. It's easier, healthier, and yummier than the canned kind.
If you ever want recipes or ideas, email me and we can start a weird food support group.
I've started looking into making our own bread, growing a garden, and making other changes in our foods as well. You should check out the book "Eat This, Not That: Supermarket edition." There are a lot of interesting points about "healthy" foods...it may keep you motivated :)
Post a Comment