Friday, September 5, 2008

Hurricanes

It's been quite some time now since I've been up at night like this to make a posting. Don't ask me why she's up this time - I have no idea. But I haven't slept hardly at all because I was almost finished with a book, and stayed up reading for a little while. It seemed like only a few minutes after falling asleep, she woke up. Figured I'd check the forecast again while I'm up. Hanna is a tropical storm (it keeps flip-flopping) and is scheduled to smash right into us. I'm not worried, since it can't seem to make up it's mind about becoming a hurricane - I'm also grateful. Being from Houston, hurricanes are not unfamiliar, but being from northwest Houston, we're not used to being 15 min from the ocean either. I have no idea what the winds are going to be like here - in Texas we lived so far inland, the main thing to worry about was flooding. Not worried about that here, in our apartment on the second story.
I'm also glad we have the internet to keep up with the weather forecast. I got tired of TV eating up so much of our time, so I cancelled the cable. We're going digital here on the 8th (first in the country - they want to make sure to work out all the kinks) so I figured we'd just get the local stations that way and it would be enough. Unfortunately, the cable shut off yesterday, Hanna is supposed to hit tomorrow and digital tv doesn't start til monday. The reason I'm grateful our internet is working is because whenever we have cancelled our cable in the past, they have always cut off the internet too, and it would take a week then before it was back up and running again. I'd really be freaking out if we had no idea what was going on!
Unfortunately, hot behind Hanna are two more storms; Ike looking most formiddable. So I guess Hanna is our trial run - kind of a good news/bad news sort of thing.
The scariest thing though - I may not have Chad here with me. The hospital goes on lockdown when a hurricane strikes. If he's there, he has to stay. How maddening when it's only across the street. He also is not allowed to evacuate, even if there are mandatory evacuations. And there is no way I'm driving out of here on my own - I am a terrified driver in the best of conditions; evacuations are definitely not the best of conditions!
Well, a little one is very much wanting my attention, so I'd better go. Wish us luck! I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

i'm nervous for you. when we're back you can wait out the storms with us

Lanae said...

You guys stay safe out there!! Hope all is well and I hope the storms pass without any harm.
Love you guys!