I don't know when it started or why, but since I was a kid whenever I've gotten upset with someone my mom has always told me "Bake them a cake." I was really pushed to the limit in making and delivering this cake.
We have been less-than-happy with the previous owners of our house, and we are in a unique situation in which the former owners live down the street. We've been particularly upset because we have gotten 5 packages delivered here for them in less than 2 weeks. We are not interested in being their personal courier service but felt guilty knowing that the boxes were likely Christmas gifts that might not get there in time if we went them back to the company instead of driving them down the street ourselves. I have to admit, we returned 2 of the 5 boxes before the guilt began to smother me.
So I went through the process of baking a cake, with visions of ipecac dancing in my head. I finished too late to drop it off, but planned on delivering it the next day. Still grudgingly, I was preparing to deliver the cake as soon as the garbage-disposal-repairman came and went. And then the repairman pointed out that the garbage disposal was cracked in several places but had been glued back together - we'd need a new one. I then wanted to take the cake and HURL it at the other people's house.
After calming down somewhat, Sakura and I walked down the street and delivered the cake. The lady of the house was surprised to see us and looked really confused. When Sakura handed her the cake with a bright little "Merry Christmas!" she looked shocked and was speechless for a moment. Then she said "You're really nice," still looking a little dazed. I mustered a smile and we left.
I have to admit, that was the hardest cake-giving experience I have ever had, but I did feel better afterward. I think mostly because of her reaction and not because I've truly forgiven them and feel charity toward them. I know it's not exactly what the Savior wants from us, but I am far from perfect, and hey - it's a step in the right direction. Now if they'd just give us $300 to replace the disposal.... nevermind! ;)
By the way, if I give you cake it doesn't always mean it's because I'm mad at you... it could be your birthday!

1 comment:
I like this post :)
Post a Comment