Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On Moving

I am a champion mover. In the first 5+ years of our marriage, we moved 15 times, lived in 2 countries, 6 states, and 9 cities. We moved on average every 3-4 months. During this time we graduated from BYU, Chad graduated from medical school, and we had our first child. Our apartment here in Wilmington is the longest place we've lived in since we've been married, and the longest place either of us have lived since we were in high school. 3 years doesn't seem like that long, but compared to 3 months, it's been a lifetime. Wilmington is home. And now we're moving again. And it's the hardest move I think I've had to make. Selling nearly everything I owned and moving to Belize was a hard move. Making 4 moves during one pregnany was definitely hard. But this move is still harder. I haven't had really close friends since high school, and now I do - and I have to leave them! It's like I said when I was going off to college - "I leave my life, my family, my friends, my home - all behind me." Only now I'm not just responsible for myself, but for my family as well. I know things will be good where we're going, but it's hard to leave your old life to start a new one.  I'm probably being a little melodramatic, but that's how I'm feeling.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

aw, shoot! I didn't cry about it until after Adrienne came to visit today. Now everything is making me weepy!

Creed Family said...

It was hard like that for us to leave Houston to move here. I understand! Thank goodness for things like facebook and blogging right? And, like you said, it will be good where you're going. It just takes time and you'll be settled with friends there too. I feel for you.

Keeping up with the Burtons said...

I know how you feel. For 3 years we lived in our ward without any friends at our stage of life...now our street is exploding with young, married couples and babies...and we're leaving :( We're only going 2 miles away and I am so sad to leave my friends! You'll make more!