Saturday, January 2, 2010

Resolutions

A friend on facebook asked who made New Year's Resolutions, and I was the only one who responded in the negative. My husband asked me a similar question last week to which I replied: "I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions." I didn't think anything of it at the time, but in retrospect, that's sort of a sad statement if you don't know what I mean by it. I stopped making New Year's Resolutions years ago when I figured out that I didn't have to wait for a new year to make new resolutions. I'm not making any New Year's Resolutions because I already have goals I am working on that I made sometime in March or something and have modified as my life has changed. Because I've also realized that goals have to change to fit your situation and changing needs. For example: I'm not going to be working on losing weight right now, since that would definitely be a bad thing for the growing baby. :) But I do have to modify my diet because I'm having horrible heartburn with this kid. Could I make it my New Year's Resolution? Sure, but after the baby comes, things will change again. Anyway, for me, I make resolutions on Sundays and start them on Mondays - it's enough of a new start for me without waiting for a whole year - one week max! Of course, that means that after reflecting on the past year, as we do at the begining of a new one, I may come up with new resolutions to be put into motion on Monday. So, good luck everyone with your goals and resolutions, inspired by the new year or just another Monday. :)

2 comments:

amanda said...

Most years I'm right with you. As a teacher, I've tended to make goals whenever report cards go out. Makes for a convinent time for self-reflection. This year, though, I have a couple resolutions. For a few weeks now (maybe even months, really), there are some things in my life and marriage that I've wanted to change. It's taken some time to get to a place where I'm ready to do so, and it just so happens that it pretty much coincides with the New Year. So...ta-da! I have New Year's resolutions for one of the first times!

Adrienne said...

i agree with you.... especially since most people don't stick to new year's resolutions anyway