I
joke that Chad is going to juice us out of house and home. He LOVES juice and drinks it in copius quantities if left unchecked. Because 100% fruit juice is mor
e expensive, he tends to buy juice that is 25% or less juice. I don't buy juice. When I do, it's 100% fruit juice and I add water. Sakura takes after her dad in many ways, and this is one of them. So, I bought a juicer - it's not a nice one - no rinds or whole fruits or
things like bananas or avocados, but I couldn't bring myself to spend more than $40 on something I wasn't sure would work with my family. Sakura (also much like her dad) does not like veggies in any way shape or form. The only time she eats them, is at other people's homes, probably because she is too shy to throw the fuss she does at home. I was hiding pureed veggies in foods I knew she would eat (cookies and pancakes etc) until the blender broke. And it just wasn't easing my mind as much as I'd hoped, since everything had to be cooked to mashing consistancy. So I'm going to be trying to sneak in veggies with her juice as well (and water! Ahem ahem, Daddy!) She's not too into smoothies very much but she asks about popsicles and ice cream, EVERY DAY. So frozen fruit and veggie juice for homemade popsicles and my little "bullet" type blender for veggie-laced "ice cream."(that's going to be an experiement!) I want to use fruits for natural sweetness and get away from sugar as much as possible. And of course, eventually do less and less fruit until she's drinking veggies and then maybe she'll like the taste and EAT veggies. BUT.... at least I don't have to worry about whole grains. We've successfully gone from "all white" to "mostly wheat" over the past 5 years. Yes, 5 years is how long it took, starting with bread and moving on to pastas and adding in the unusual. (Well, no unusual stuff for Sakura, but whole grain bread and pasta for the most part, yes.) So getting my family to drink less sugary juice and more watery juice will take at least 5 years and getting them to eat veggies may take ten. I tried asking my mom for advice, since she was always "sneaking in" veggies in her cooking, but she said she did that for extra - she never had trouble getting us to eat some vegetable or another. "Some kids" are never mine, unless you mean the difficult things. (I wonder how much those carbonator things cost. Sakura just LOVES soda...)
Cross Country meet 3
2 weeks ago

2 comments:
Super cool. Good luck! I've been enjoying my new juicer. It surprises me how tasty veggies and an apple can be. Plus it gives you the pulp you can use to "lace" other foods with. Let me know if you come up with some yummy combinations. Sounds like you're doing great things for your family :)
Haha! Kent will drink a 2 liter bottle of soda in less than a day if I don't pay attention. He told me that when they were kids his mom would get on Chad about slowing down with the Tang and Kool-aid. I am sure Kent was just as much a culprit too though :) I feel your pain with the fruit and veggie issues too. I may need to get some recipes from you!
Post a Comment