This one obviously needs some work - so do you think it's worth it, or will it end up costing more in the end than I want to really pay? I have no idea the costs of flooring and drywalling and any of that, or how to do it myself, or how hard it would be to try doing it myself. And once it's fixed up, will we be paying more in taxes than we can afford, even if we are paying mortgage payments we can? And what about heating and cooling costs? It's way bigger than anything I ever wanted. (I wanted less than 4000 sqft) It looks like a great opportunity, but is it one we are ready for? Just over 5 weeks now til we come out for our house-hunting trip!
7 comments:
Flooring costs usually anywhere from $2-$7 per square foot, so the cost is directly proportional with the size of the house. Dry wall is, too. I can't give you a quote for sure, but I'd estimate $1-$7 thousand dollars, depending on the size of area that needs to be covered.
Bathroom fixtures are pricey- faucets cost around $100-$500 depending on how fancy you want to get. Tubs are surprisingly inexpensive (coming in around $1500-$2500, depending on things like size, jets, etc.). Showers are surprisingly expensive... glass surrounds usually run over $1000, and then you have to decide if you want tile (hecka expensive) or solid surface.
Electric work is cheap and fast, but plumbing is not. Granite countertops run about $35-$75 per linear foot around here.
I know a lot of good general contractors and would be happy to hook you up with their numbers, but honestly it looks like a big job.
The house is beautiful and mega mansions are definitely impressive, but then you have to actually CARE for them, which can be daunting. That's a lot of floors to sweep, paint to keep touched up, and blinds to dust. Not to mention the cost of furnishing and decorating a place that big.
Speaking of which, window coverings are around $250-$400 per window, depending on size, shape, and style.
It'd be cool if you wanted to do it, but you do have a valid point about the taxes. They are assessed based on square footage and neighborhood, not purchase price, so that might be cost prohibitive. Check out www.ourutahhomes.com and type in the mls number of the house. It will give you a pretty accurate estimate for the taxes and mortgage payment.
Whoah. www.utahrealestate.com/1001311
One block away from AF hospital? Already remodeled?
AMAZING interior. Not a short sale.
oh yeah, that one is Chad's favorite! I'm divided - it's beautiful, but doesn't leave a lot of room for me to personalize it.
That's true about the personalization. There's no law saying you couldn't paint over the murals if you don't like them, but it would be kind of a waste. Love the architectural details, though.
Our realtor just sent us this link:
http://www.utahrealestate.com/999911
It's out of our price range by about 20 grand, otherwise I'd be all over it. It has an unfinished walk out basement which could easily be finished out (for about $25K) as an apartment. The neighborhood is TO DIE FOR. It's around the corner from Y Mount, and short bike ride to BYU's Creamery. I would give my left arm to live in that neighborhood. The ambiance is incredible. Cozy, yet definitely very high end. Close to everything. Fantastic schools. There are even a few Mormon celebs who live in that area if you're in to that sort of thing.
Love that house! I didn't realize the price had dropped! I originally dismissed it because of the unfinished basement, but I keep coming back to it. It does have 5 bedrooms even without the basement.
5 bedrooms would be great for you all. You could have both kids in their own room and still have an extra room for crafts/sewing, a guest room, or home office.
Wasatch Elementary (the closest school to that house) is bilingual dual emersion English/Chinese. Awesome, right? Who gets to learn Chinese before 6th grade these days!?
Post a Comment