Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Knees

Some days it feels as if medicine fails me. I don't know what to do anymore. I have been trying to get a grip on my health for years and just when things seem hopeful, the bottom falls out. Take my knees for example: I finally broke down and saw a doctor. I had a steroid injection, X-rays, MRI, physical therapy, shoe inserts, new shoes... All I can tell you is my feet roll in when I walk, my knee caps tilt out, my bones and ligaments are fine, and I still hurt. Disappointing, but then add in physical therapy events: enduring the scraping, spending 6 hrs a week for appointments, and then I have a massive allergic reaction to the tape used during the whole process. Now I'm trying to heal from that! I get to wear short shorts, rolled up so my knees stay exposed while they are treated with steroid gel. The kids can't touch my legs and neither can anything else. I didn't know it would be sooo limiting! I guess it's good I have this to worry about right now because I have no idea what my next step should be. My shoulder MRIs came back - they tell me about what my knee ones do: nothing is really wrong, sorry you're in pain. The only thing I can think of to do is just hire a personal trainer and get back to weight lifting, since I know there's nothing wrong. It can't be more time consuming or costly than medicine has been!
But right now, I don't think I'm even capable of making a good decision. I'm tired, cold, itchy, uncomfortable, aching, and disheartened. I feel useless and discouraged and confused and angry and worried. And more than anything, I want to put on a pair of pants and curl up on my side under a blanket!! But I am grateful not to be in so much pain anymore. And I'm glad to see the gel having such an immediate response. I really hope it doesn't take 4 weeks to clear up though! I am already going crazy!

No comments: