Friday, October 21, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham

Out here in Utah, they have a short fall break on Thursday and Friday this week. So here is what we did!

Chad's favorite book when he was a kid was "Green Eggs and Ham." Since we now have a copy, Chad has been reading it to Sakura, and of course, she loves it! So we decided today that we were going to make green and ham for dinner. Most people I know make scrambled eggs, but I knew that wouldn't satisfy Sakura (or me!) so I looked around online until I found just the right way to make our green eggs and ham look just like they do in the book.

For those who want to know what I did - you separate the white from the yolk - coat your palms in egg white to keep them slippery while you work with the yolk (it also helps keep too much dye from soaking into your skin) put one drop of green food coloring onto the yolk and spread around. Dump egg white in frying pan, place yolk gently on top and viola! Green egg yolks! I then cooked them sunny-side up. The yolk inside is still yellow, but on the plate it looks just like it does in the book - no scrambled eggs for us! (actually, i broke 2 yolks out of the 8 eggs, so Mommy got scrambled while everyone else got the cool ones)

The Ham... actually, you should do the ham first, because it takes longer. Take ham slices and soak for at least 10 minutes (or until it is your desired depth of green - or until you remember you have ham soaking in green liquid and pull them out) in a bath of 1 c. water, 1 T vinegar and 10-12 drops of green food coloring. Works great! Pat dry, fry up with the eggs. Yum!

To round out our green meal, we also made green smoothies: 1-2 handfuls of spinach leaves; 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped; 1 banana, sliced and enough milk to make it run smoothly in the blender - 1/2 -1 c. Oh, and I added a spoonful of sugar, just for good measure. The adults liked it, but Sakura isn't that fond of thick drinks anyway - she finally was happy with it after we added a squirt of chocolate sauce. It gave it a slightly chocolately flavor, but was still very green.

Oh, and yesterday we had sort of orange evening - we made pumpkin cupcakes, delivered them to friends, watched "punkin chunkin" and a halloween video and read halloween/pumpkin books. We also had mac-n-cheese for dinner. :) Orange and green - how festive! (these were the only ones left by the time I took a picture)

Hooray for fall break! Maybe we should do fall outdoor stuff next, before it gets too cold!!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

how cute Natalie! I LOVE the green eggs and ham!

Adrienne said...

good for you. looks like fun