Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Moving In (part 1)






Having someone pack your stuff for you, sounds awesome, but is far less awesome in actuality. For instance, packers are truly horrible at labeling what’s actually in boxes (probably because they don’t care, since they don’t have to unpack and put any of the stuff away) and since you didn’t pack the boxes yourself, you never know what you will find when you open a box. Like the box marked “baby stuff” actually had Christmas decorations in it. Or the box marked “china” with tools, a lamp, light bulbs, etc… and a few ceramic plates. For the life of me, I cannot find the glass tops to our side tables! Second, packers get lazy. Everything in the beginning is over-wrapped and super-padded, and the boxes toward the end of the day are just haphazardly shoved full of stuff. While I have found nicely wrapped magnets and body poofs, I’ve also found broken glass in a picture (in a box labeled food) and a badly smushed cabbage patch doll. The picture is trash, but I am trying to rescue the doll. Other broken things include, the dryer (boo), the bookshelves for Sakura’s room, and my shoe rack. I’m sure there will be others. At least the computer survived intact! Third - some things were packed that shouldn’t have been (the smoke detector and the blinds from Sakura’s room at the apartment) and some things that should have been packed, were not (like the shower caddies) which had to be hurriedly packed into boxes the packers thankfully left behind (probably not intentionally, as they also left a giant box half full of packing tape) or given away to anyone home (like the water pitcher). So, as great as it sounds, there are definitely drawbacks. I’m pretty sure everyone around me is tired of hearing me say “I hate packers” all the time. Now that we have a new drier, I won't have to spend half my day rummaging through boxes trying to find my clothes. I haven't found Sakura's clothes either, so we only have the 10 days worth that I packed us. Chad at least has gotten scrubs from work he can wear! Tomorrow I get to do laundry! Yay?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ahh Nat that totally sucks! I also know what movers are capable of. It's horrible! We really miss you guys though! I hope you are enjoying to mild summer in Utah...Ava asks for Sakura everyday! It is so sad you don't live across the way anymore. :(

Sadly yours,
Trochez Fam

Cattaya said...

Dude that is all kinds of uncool! I wish I could be closer to help you guys out!!

Adrienne said...

so sorry Nat. you sure have had it rough. we'll visit soon.