It seems like more of my posts have been full of complaining lately. I don't like that, but sometimes that's just how it is. This one is more complaining, so if you don't want to hear it, wait for another post.
We (and I mean mostly me) are trying to get Sakura to sleep by herself. ::Groan:: This has consistuted shutting her up in her room and letting her cry and call and scream and yell and plead with us to let Mommy come back and snuggle. Last night was night three. This all started because she has been sleeping poorly, making me sleep poorly. And I'm sick with a cold and am tired a lot, and I thought - "Snuggling isn't getting me any more sleep, might as well make her sleep on her own." This thought occurs on occassion but guilt overrides it by night 2. Not to mention I am a horrible person when I don't get sleep - I usually cave so I won't be so mean to everyone anymore (it adds to the guilt). Night 2's decision was taken out of my hands when Sakura fell asleep in my lap watching TV and was totally out of it for bedtime. So she was put to bed with no struggle (until she woke up later to find herself alone.) I made it through the first day because Chad was home and we were too busy with doctor and dentist appointments to worry about what to do for naptime (it was in the car or in waiting rooms.) Day 2 was hard because I didn't know what to do and Chad was on call, so I was on my own for the whole day. There was also a lot of work going on next door, so it was very loud all day. Ug. I tried to be firm with naptime so she won't think she can just stay up all night and sleep with Mommy all day, but when UPS woke her up delivering a package after she had FINALLY fallen alseep on her own, I didn't have enough left in me and we napped together. Stupidly, I promised to make cookies for a friend's shower (that I'm not going to even be able to attend) so I let Sakura fall asleep in my lap watching TV so I could at least make the cookie dough. Night 3 was last night and I decided to try something I'd read to do (with older kids for something else, I'm sure) and used a timer that I set for 5 min. I stayed in bed with her until the timer went off, and then I left. She was up for a long time. I don't know how long because I don't have a clock in our room to look at, since I haven't been sleeping in there. When she was finally quiet, I fell asleep. I woke up to her complaining again somewhere around 4:30am or so (again, no clock.) Chad got up not too long afterward at 5 to get ready for work. That's the other thing I was not ready for - readjusting to sleeping with Chad! He's become a bed-hog in the last year (yes, it's almost been that long) and wow is he warm! And he wakes up very early and I can't sleep through it when he's getting ready in the same room. At least, not yet. So will this work? Will it all be worth it? I certainly hope so. I didn't do this before because I wanted Chad to get sleep for work. Ha! He's sleeping like a brick. I also didn't do it before because Sakura's stomach problems. She's fine, unless she's sick, so that ended that arguement. And of course, the guilt made me not want to do it as well. How many hours of "Mommy, why?" can you listen to and not feel guilty? (make that how many seconds!) And there was always a reason to wait (still is.) And I didn't want to do it on my own. But here I am, doing it basically alone. I hope it gets better and soon because this is sooooo hard. I am looking forward to Chad's vacation in Feb more and more and more.... Day 3 and Night 4... I don't know what I'm gonna do today, so wish me luck and say some prayers. I know I will be.
Kinder promotion, Theo violin concert
3 months ago

2 comments:
oh natalie that is so hard and I can't believe you're doing it alone. Hang in there and if you need a break in the day give me a call
Good luck with that Natalie! It sounds like you're on the path. It will just take some (okay, a lot of) persistence on your part. I totally understand the guilt thing too. But then again Mommy needs some time too :) Trasitions are never easy... but you can do it ;)
Post a Comment