Friday, October 3, 2008

Sleeping Alone


I have struggled with this kid and sleep ever since I tried the Ferber method when she was 6 months old. You try and force this kid to do anything, and you will regret it. I've been sleeping with her in her room for a long time now. I recently felt I should put Sakura's mattress on the ground (no box spring). Last night it was bedtime and I was tired. Sakura was not. In frustration, I finally got up and left, closing the door behind me. She was happy to see me go, since I was preventing her from playing. Usually when I try that, she bangs on the door and screams until I can't take it and come back and we go to sleep. After a while she did bang on the door in protest a little, but then lay down herself and went to sleep. Haven't heard a sound out of her yet! Happy was left behind and began whining and scratching at the door. We had to let her out (afraid she'd ruin it all) and could peek on Sakura at that time. That's how we knew she went to bed. It may seem normal to anyone else out there, but for us - for me - it was a small miracle. Now the question is, what do I do tonight?

1 comment:

Camille Farias said...

Andrei didn't sleep through the night until he was almost 3 years old. That of course meant I had to wake up with a fussy baby often every 15-20 minutes for at least 2 years of that. Granted he was only in my care 3 days a week... but trust me. I feel your pain, and I know what a miracle it is to get a bad sleeper to finally drift off on their own without a lot of drama. Congrats!