Sunday, October 12, 2008

New Slang

Wednesday Natalie and Sakura flew out to D.C. to visit her sister. Natalie's sister's husband has been in Iraq for about 6 months now, so I'm sure both of them could use each other's company. I've been busy with residency (70-80hr work weeks typically), but I do try to take time to be with my family as much as possible. I miss them very much this week; I could only imagine being away from them for 6+ months.

So I've been watching some "Scrubs" (my favortie doctor show). The show is actually pretty accurate in terms of a lot of things young doctors face during their residency years, only the real life is not as entertaining and funny. I watched one of the first season episodes called, "My Balance", which had to do with balancing all the many things pressing on you during these years... work, relationships, etc. There is a song at the end of the show called New Slang (by The Shins, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD7qIthSdkA)... the song talks about how we don't see things the way we used to when we were young, when life was less complicated. There was a newness and a freshness to life that can be dulled by the sorrows of the world as we age. It's all about perspective, and how it changes. We deal with death and so much sadness in the hospital; it's difficult to see the world like I once did. I don't want to become course or hardened by it all.

My saving grace is Natalie and Sakura... I get a new perspective through Sakura's eyes. Every day she discovers something new, or learns a new word, it's new to me also. The other night before going to bed, she came into the bedroom just to give me a kiss. She's a little ray of sunshine. I reflect now as they are gone if I'm balancing my life appropriately, and where I can do better. I love my girls... thank you for making life so beautiful.

1 comment:

Lanae said...

Hey Chad,
You're such a great dad. I'm sure Sakura is a little ray of sunshine; that's how I feel about my two little boys and I know exactly how you feel. We think of you guys often and hope we can all see you soon.
Much love,
Lanae