I decided we ARE going to do a Christmas newsletter/card this year. We've talked about it for years and have never done it. Days like yesterday are why.
I figured out that I didn't have the time, resources or table space to make the crafty cards I wanted to make this year. That has stopped me before and I determined it wouldn't stop me again this year. So I made one on the computer. I finally got Chad to read through it for any changes/additions and was going to print, except we were out of red ink. Last night we attempted to get our cartridge refilled. Why didn't I do it while Chad was at work? Because he took the car because it was cold and rainy today. I couldn't have gone anyway since for some reason my knees were acting up and it probably wouldn't have been a good idea for me to drive anyway.
So Chad came home from work and we decided a quick trip to Walgreen two blocks away was something we could manage before eating dinner. The store just opened and does not offer that service yet, but they told us where one was that did. So off to that one we went. 10 minutes, she said. Ok, no prob. We took Sakura to the toy section and let her play. 15 minutes later the lady said the blue ink isn't working, she's going to try something else with it. Ok. Another 10 minutes go by and Sakura is now bored and hungry. So Chad picks out some chocolate donuts in hopes of keeping her attention for what we're sure is for only a few more minutes. Then a customer grabs a gallon of milk, which promptly rips in half and sends milk gushing out all over the place. I grab Sakura and move away so she doesn't try and splash in the milk puddle. The milk, it seems, is intent on flooding the photo machine, and the lady helping us, and a manager and someone else, are now hard at work trying to contain the milk and help the poor lady now covered in it. For some reason, tons of people pick this moment to want to shop at Walgreens. The lady helping us finally gets the milk under control enough to tell us that we're out of luck and need a new cartridge. Fine. Let's just pay for the donuts and go. That seemed to be everyone's reaction and there was suddenly a line. The woman two people in front of us is there with her daughter, maybe 7. The girl tries to run through the small gap in the closing automatic door and the sensor doesn't have time to react - impact! The door breaks in the almost closed position and the girl's mom, halfway to the car, turns around and is trying to help her daughter fix the door. The lady at the checkout counter is trying to yell at them to leave the door alone (I went over and tried telling her the same, but it she didn't seem to register it.) So there are 3 employees cleaning up milk, 1 fixing the door and 1 checking out the long line of customers. We can't get out anyway, until the door is fixed. Free at last, we head home, stopping at CVS to get a new ink cartridge. Chad decides he'd better make sure we're getting the right one before buying (as we left the old one back at Walgreens) and we go home empty-handed. It's now been an hour and a half since our "quick trip to the corner Walgreens." My sister calls to say she got the box we sent and I tell her about our adventure, glad it's over. Nope. We are eating dinner when Chad starts to feel sick. Stomach flu. Probably picked up at Walgreens. Never eat at a drug store without washing your hands. Chad is out for the remainder of the night. I'm feeling fine. For about another hour or so, and then I'm right there with Chad, while Sakura runs amok. We finally all get ready for bed, and crawl in exhuasted, to wake up at midnight because we fell asleep so early.
Sigh. Some days are just that way. Time to try going back to bed and hope the new day brings more results and less turmoil.
Cross Country meet 3
2 weeks ago

3 comments:
Ahh! Why is it that always has to happen on the quick trips? I hope you guys are feeling better soon. Not fun :(
Oh, Natalie! Why do we have to have days like this?? I totally sympathize with you. I think every mom has days like this (I know I've had my fair share!) But the thing I love is when I tuck my little bundles in bed and I know the day went on with out any major trauma, their safe in their warm, soft beds, and I just take a step back and think... life is good.
But I really know what you're talking about - some days just aren't all that smooth. :-)
Oh boy! What a day. I hope today was better. Thanks for sharing, it made me laugh :) Great storytelling, by the way.
Post a Comment